Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On 25.08.2011 06:46, John Dennis wrote:
class foo(Command):
     '''
     The foo command takes out the garbage.
     '''

Would become:

class foo(Command):
     __doc__ = _('The foo command takes out the garbage.')

But which docstrings need to be marked for translation? The makeapi
tool knows how to iterate over every command in our public API. It was
extended to validate every command's documentation and report if any
documentation is missing or not marked for translation. That
information was then used to identify each docstring in the code which
needed to be transformed.
Read through whole patch. This is one of rare cases where gettext's use
of original text as translation id isn't helpful from both performance
(longer calculation of Id hash during run-time) and maintenance. Looks
like we have to live with that if Transifex is unable to work with
indirected translation ids -- that would mean authoritative original
text would be in 'en' translation, not as original translation id.

If that can't be solved, I'm fine with this approach.
In summary what this patch does is:

* Remove the use of pygettext (modification to install/po/Makefile.in)
ACK

* Replace every docstring with an explicit assignment to __doc__ where
   the rhs of the assignment is an i18n marking function.
ACK

* Single line docstrings appearing in multi-line string literals
   (e.g. ''' or """) were replaced with single line string literals
   because the multi-line literals were introducing unnecessary
   whitespace and newlines in the string extracted for translation. For
   example:
ACK

* Import statements were moved from below the docstring to above
   it. This was necessary because the i18n markers are imported
   functions and must be available before the the doc is
   parsed. Technically only the import of the i18n markers had to
   appear before the doc but stylistically it's better to keep all the
   imports together.
ACK

* It was observed during the docstring editing process that the
   command documentation was inconsistent with respect to the use of
   periods to terminate a sentence. Some doc had a trailing period,
   others didn't. Consistency was enforced by adding a period to end of
   every docstring if one was missing.
ACK.

ACK from me too, pushed to master and ipa-2-1

I discovered some issues with the Spanish translation while testing this and opened a ticket to investigate. It isn't related to these changes.