On 10/04/2011 09:32 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Adam Young wrote:
It is possible to generate a Certificate signing request from the
browser, if we use Mozilla specific code. I've mildly hacked the Mozilla
sample code to work with JQuery and to display the CSR to the screen,
instead of sending it right to the server.

I'd see this working something like this:

1. add the certificate attribute to the user plugin.
2. On the user page, if the principal of the user selected matches the
kerberos principal for the logged user, show the certificate control
3. The certificate control allows the user to request a new certificate.
4. If the user has a certificate, the certificate control allow the user
to download the certificate.

I have to look into the details, but the certificate shoud only be
useable by default in the browser that originally requested it. However,
it is fairly easy to export the certificate, along with the primary keys
that generated its CSR, such that it would be usable elsewhere: For
example https://ca.cern.ch/ca/Help/?kbid=040111

This seems like fairly simple to implement. We would not even have to
extend the API. We keep the certificate request separate from the user
until it is signed, and then add it to the user object. Thus it would be
created as a side effect of:

ipa cert-request --add --principal=abrad...@dev.example.com abradley.csr

Yes, CRMF is how we'll eventually add user certificate support, but this is the easy part.

On the server side we need to add support for multiple certificate profiles (your above request issues a server cert for the user abradley).

We also need a way to manage a queue of requests. User certificates are a different beast from server certs and in many cases will require the intervention of a security officer, or some other 3rd party verification.

rob

Basic user certificates should probably be issued without security officer intervention, as they merely play the same role as the Kerberos credential. Where it gets tricky is if we deactivate a user, we should put the certificate on Hold, which means we need to update the CRLs we publish, but CS should handle this fairly easily. We would need to expand the Cert plugin to determine if a request is for a user certificate or a server certificate, but it has enough information do that already.

However, there might be other certificates that we want to issue in the future. If I understand correctly, this work should be delegated to Certificate server, and the IPA Cert plugin needs to be expanded to track the certificate requests pending in the CS instance.