On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:07 -0500, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 1:43 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> >> I think we probably need 2 different size limits: one for regular
> >> queries (set on LDAP server) and the other for pulling primary keys
> >> (maintained by IPA server).
> >>
> >> Suppose we have a system with 5000 users, we need to be able to pull all
> >> 5000 primary keys. But for regular queries we probably still want to
> >> keep a smaller limit.
> >
> > This is true, but I am not sure how can we help on server side with
> > this. Limits are something that CLI user or Web UI should control via
> > --sizelimit and --timelimit parameters and the config-mod setting I
> > referred to. Can you use --pkey-only, --sizelimit and --timelimit
> > parameters to manage large data sets in WebUI or would you need another
> > tweak?
>
> The UI can add a --sizelimit param with a bigger limit, but if the limit
> is stored in the UI it will be static. The UI can provide an interface
> to change it but it's only temporary and specific to one browser.
>
> > What we can do is to make sure that all our *-find commands have
> > --sizelimit and --timelimit parameters. I see that for example
> > delegation-find does not have one.
>
> I think it's better to store this limit on the server. When the server
> receives a *-find command with --pkey-only it will add this size limit
> by default.

IIUC your idea is to have 2 new config-mod options like this:

# ipa config-show --all
  Search time limit: 2
  Search size limit: 100
  Search time limit with pkey-only: 10
  Search size limit with pkey-only: 5000

Hm, I am still not sold for this behavior. I don't think that user would
expect that when he asks for smaller data package via --pkey-only we
would silently undercover change --sizelimit and --timelimit parameters
to different value than he is used to.

I would you a second opinion on this. Rob?

Martin