1 inline comment.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 8, 2011, at 16:01, Ian Kent <ik...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 17:52 +0100, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have created a wiki page summarizing my design proposal on integrating
>> SSSD with automounter:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DesignDocs/AutofsIntegration
>>
>> Feedback is much appreciated - a reply to this email would probably work
>> best. The target of this work is 1.8
>
> Thanks for writing this summary, it's excellent.
> There's not much I have to say about it because it is already quite
> thorough.
>
> One thing I dislike about the discussion, and while I let it pass in
> bugs and mailing list discussions, I think it is wrong to put it in
> public design documents. The statement "autofs abuses the nsswitch.conf
> configuration file" I find a little offensive. autofs uses that
> configuration file and parses only the "automount" entry using the same
> semantic behavior as nss, so the word "abuse" is wrong and a little rude
> IMHO.

From googling: define:abuse

a·buse/əˈbyo͞oz/
Verb:
Use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
Indeed, what autofs is doing fits this definition to a tee. People reading
technical documents generally have thick enough skin that the work abuse is not
offensive. Not trying to flame, but I can't comprehend why you see the word
abuse as offensive when it (to me) clearly is it. Especially not when it is
used in a context fitting the definition. Much like how OpenVZ abuses procfs
and IOCTLs, that's just how it is. If they used things as they were meant to
be, it would not be abuse.