On Wed, 14 Dec 2011, Sumit Bose wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 07:08:24PM +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> > > Ok we had a discussion this morning about how to handle this.
> > >
> > > We decided to do a few things to simplify installing and managing the
> > > problem when multiple replicas are involved.
> > >
> > > 1. We will fold back as much as possible into ipa-server-install (and
> > > update scripts for 2 -> 3 updates), in particular we will move generic
> > > ACI creation (including additional ACI for a new group called Trusts
> > > Admins), and the creation of a system user called adtrust and associated
> > > DS user under uid=adtrust,cn=sysaccount,cn=etc,
> > >
> > > 2. We will preconfigure DS so that SASL/EXTERNAL authentication with
> > > that user results in using the uid=adtrust DN that will have also
> > > pre-assigned ACIs
> > >
> > > 3. We will change samba's ipasm to use the adtrust user and
> > > SASL/EXTERNAL auth to access DS in order to have privilege separation.
> > > This means smbd keeps operating as a restricted user but will not need a
> > > password to be set via smbpasswd -e
> > >
> > > 4. We change ipa-adtrust-install to ipa-adtrust-enable, this script will
> > > verify the necessary trust objects are in place and enables starting the
> > > adtrust service (smbd daemon, cldap plugin, ...) It also adds the server
> > > to the _msdcs DNS hive.
> > >
> > > 5. Each ipa server admins need to use as a bridge to/from AD will need
> > > to be 'activated' by running ipa-adtrust-enable once for now. We can
> > > also consider automatically running it by passing a --enable-adtrust
> > > parameter to ipa-replica-install
> > >
> > > 6. We change ipa-replica-manage to make sure _msdcs records are also
> > > deleted when a replica is removed.
> > >

> > > This should be all, please send corrections if I forgot something.
> > 'ipa trust' family of commands will be used to manage trust
> > information after configuration -- listing existing trusts, removing
> > and modifying them.
> >
> > In addition, 'ipa trust-add' will do similar ground work
> > when configuring AD trusts on the master -- it will ensure all needed
> > records are in LDAP (or will create them) and will ask admin to use
> > ipa-adtrust-enable to actually activate the trust. All this is due to
> > the fact that we need to start/restart services with root privileges.
> >
> > This way we can have a common CLI that will stay the same for all
> > future trust variants and instruct admins how to activate actual trust
> > relationship once it is configured.
> >
> > If we'll find solutions to automate activation process, we can then
> > replace the instructions with the actual calls to activation.
>
> Simo, Alexander thank you for the summary.
>
> I have an open ticket (#1614) which I planned to add to
> ipa-adtrust-install but which might be better solved elsewhere whit the
> current plans.
>
> In ticket #1614 a DNS plugin configuration shall be created to add SIDs
> to IPA user which should be used in the trusted AD domain as well. We
> can create the DNA configuration with the initial setup of the IPA
> [...]
I'm also preferring the second approach. I think we can opt to provide
a separate option in ipa-server-install to specify a flat name as we
now always show a summary of configuration before going into actual
install. This means that generated name could be checked prior to
install and overriden.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy