On 2/9/2012 7:57 AM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
Address column in A, AAAA DNS records was extended by redirection
Redirection dialog is shown after a click on a value.
Dialog does following steps:
1) fetch all dns zones
2) find most accurate reverse zone for IP address
2 -fail) show error message, stop
3) checks if target record exists in the zone
3 -fail) show 'dns record create link', stop
Click on 'dns record create link':
1) creates record
1 -fail) show error, stop
One minor issue:
1. After redirection the breadcrumb doesn't link to the correct zone.
a) Open the details page of an A record.
b) Click the IP address (create the PTR record if necessary), it will
show the PTR record.
c) Click the reverse zone in the breadcrumb, it will go to the forward zone.
2. We can also create a link from the PTR record to go back to the A record.
3. When all of the redirection steps work correctly, the redirection
dialog will appear and then disappear immediately. There's no time to
read the message. I think the redirection steps should be done in the
background after clicking the link and the dialog should only appear
when there's an error. So it might be better to move the redirection
code into the redirection column.
4. The dialog is an error dialog, so the dialog title could say
something like "Unable to open PTR record". From users' perspective they
are following a link, it's not a redirection.
5. The messages shown in the dialog can be simplified. Users don't need
to know the detailed steps such as fetching the DNS zones, etc. If
there's no matching reverse zone it could just say something like:
Reverse DNS zone for <IP address> not found.
If there's a reverse zone but no PTR record, it could say something like
PTR record for <IP address> not found.
[Create PTR Record]
6. To be consistent, all user action that changes the data should be
presented as a button. So the "Create PTR Record" above should be
converted into a button.
Endi S. Dewata
Freeipa-devel mailing list