On Feb 27, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:

> JR Aquino wrote:
>> ipa-server-install has a method for validating forward and reverse via
>> ipaserver/install/installutils.py
>> ipa-client-install does not currently have an equivalent
>> This patch adds valid_dns to ipapython/ipautil.py to validate foward and
>> reverse DNS
>> This patch adds the valid_dns test in
>> ipa-client/ipa-install/ipa-client-install to validate the dns of the FreeIPA
>> server
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2438
>
> Would it make sense to use verify_fqdn() from installutils.py?

Ya, I thought about that initially.

It cannot be done for the problem we are trying  to solve.

ipaserver/install/installutils.py

^ This only comes along via the installation of the server package.

> We'd need to move this to ipapython to be usable by the client but it would
> do a lot more checking and no code duplication.

We are trying to make sure that ipa-client-install on Client systems are
capable of doing the fwd/reverse and they don't receive any of the server rpms.

That is why this patch add's this functionality to ipapython.