Let me share my post-commit hook with you.

Save this as .git/hooks/post-commit, chmod +x it, and each time you make a commit, it will run pylint and a PEP8 check on all .py files you've changed.

It takes a long time, but it runs after the commit is made, so you can quite safely kill it or switch to a different terminal and continue working.

It's also quite noisy -- IPA doesn't really conform to its style guide, mainly because there are lots of long lines. I always like to check around the changes I made for little style fixes to sneak into my patch.

yum install python-pep8 for the style checks.

Improvements welcome!

--
PetrĀ³
#!/bin/sh

if git rev-parse --verify HEAD~ >/dev/null 2>&1
then
        against=HEAD~
else
        # Initial commit: diff against an empty tree object
        against=4b825dc642cb6eb9a060e54bf8d69288fbee4904
fi

FILES=`git diff --cached --name-only $against | grep '\.py$'`
echo $FILES
if [ -n "$FILES" ]; then
    echo Commit `git rev-parse --verify HEAD`: Linting...
    ./make-lint $FILES
    pep8 $FILES -r
fi