John Dennis wrote:
On 04/16/2012 05:28 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
We no longer use the running state when uninstalling DS instances but we
need to pull it in case it is there in an upgraded instance.

Ah, so the issue is that StateFile.restore_state() has the side effect
of removing the key from the state file and if we don't call
restore_state() cruft is left in the state file that somehow confuses
things later on?

Exactly. And there is a check at the end of installation to see if anything got missed. This is sort of a catch-all in case something does terribly wrong and gives the user some avenue to fix things.