There have been so many versions of the patch and various comments attached to it I'm afraid I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the actual problem is we're trying to solve, until I have that understanding I can't evaluate the proposed solution.

Could you please state simply what the fundamental problem is the patch is trying to correct for and how it accomplishes it?

When I tried to reach this understanding myself about the only thing I figured out was that some of our command line utilities pass a string to the exit() command whose output is out of band with respect to logging resulting in a duplicate message (however before application of the patch I don't see why logging would re-emit the message).

--
John Dennis <jden...@redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/