On 06/12/2012 02:39 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 06/12/2012 02:38 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 13:12 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
This will make older clients usable if new output items get added to
commands.

Since there might be important information in the extra output, it's not
ignored as the ticket asks. Instead it's printed, but not formatted
nicely as the client doesn't have enough info for that.

Patch is missing.

Simo.

My apologies

We decided off-list that relaxing validation is not the right thing to do.
A better approach would be to notify the server that the client can accept extended data (through a header or a version parameter). So, ticket 1721 is invalid, but we need a better solution to make https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2732 "Provide means of displaying warning and informational messages on clients" possible.

I think that using the existing "version" parameter (which gets added to RPC calls automatically) would be perfect for this.

Simo mentioned that we don't want to make the API depend on the version of our client version, so other clients don't need to copy our versioning scheme.

However, in the version argument we send the API version, not our client version. I think other clients should know and advertise what API version they are using, and the number shouldn't be specific to our client. It's the perfect place to learn the client's capabilities from, if we're okay with a linear evolution of the API (as opposed to the client advertising individual features).

Simo, can you comment? Hopefully I didn't mishear anything on the meeting.

--
PetrĀ³