Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 09/04/2012 07:44 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Petr Viktorin wrote:

Shouldn't this also call verify_fqdn() on the local hostname and not
just the master? I think this would eventually fail in the conncheck but
what if that was skipped?

rob

A few lines above there is a call to get_host_name, which will call
verify_fqdn.

I double-checked this, it fails in conncheck. Here are my steps:

# ipa-server-install --setup-dns
# ipa-replica-prepare replica.example.com --ip-address=192.168.100.2
# ipa host-del replica.example.com

On replica, set DNS to IPA master, with hostname in /etc/hosts.

# ipa-replica-install ...

The verify_fqdn() passes because the resolver uses /etc/hosts.

The conncheck fails:

Execute check on remote master
Check connection from master to remote replica 'replica.example.com':

Remote master check failed with following error message(s):
Could not chdir to home directory /home/admin: No such file or directory
Port check failed! Unable to resolve host name 'replica.example.com'

Connection check failed!
Please fix your network settings according to error messages above.
If the check results are not valid it can be skipped with --skip-conncheck parameter.

The DNS test happens much further after this, and I get why, I just don't see how useful it is unless the --skip-conncheck is used.

ipa-replica-install ~rcrit/replica-info-replica.example.com.gpg --skip-conncheck
Directory Manager (existing master) password:

ipa : ERROR Could not resolve hostname replica.example.com using DNS. Clients may not function properly. Please check your DNS setup. (Note that this check queries IPA DNS directly and ignores /etc/hosts.)
Continue? [no]:

So I guess, what are the intentions here? It is certainly better than before.