2012/9/17 Petr Viktorin <pvikt...@redhat.com>

> On 09/14/2012 09:36 PM, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
>
>> 2012/9/14 Petr Viktorin <pvikt...@redhat.com <mailto:pvikt...@redhat.com
>> >>

>      I pushed the pot manually.
>>     Since we have infrequent explicit string freezes I don't think it's
>>     necessary to configure automatic pot updates again.
>>

>> Thanks Petr!
>>
>> Actually, having the strings updated on Transifex on a regular basis
>> makes it (IMHO) more manageable for translators to update the
>> translations even before a string freeze. Translating a dozen strings
>> per week is lighter than a mere 339 strings.
>>

> A possible problem with this approach is that the translators would see
> and translate messages that don't make it into the final version. Do you
> think a more even workload would be worth the occasional extra work?

Having some extra work from time to time is OK. Having a huge batch of
strings to translate on a deadline is uneasy. Especially with day job
ramping up... ;-)

> I would like to change our i18n workflow/infrastructure. I was planning to
> (re-)start discussing this after the 3.0 release rush is done. It should be
> possible to do what you suggest.

Cool, thanks.

>  I also don't know if pulls from Transifex or push from your side has an
>> effect of keeping memory (in suggestions) of past or close enough
>> strings from the past for small modifications.
>>

> Sadly, I don't know much about Transifex itself. Perhaps ask the team
> there, and request the feature if it's missing.

This item is not that important, more a wish.

>  Another comment/request, I don't know given my zero-level Python-fu:
>> would it be possible to break down the huge __doc__ strings in plugins
>> into smaller parts, as a small modification would impact a smaller
>> strings, easing maintenance instead of trying to track the one character
>> modification in a 2000 chars text.
>>
>> Does Python support concatenations of __doc___ strings?
>>

> That is be possible on the Python side. I'm not sure how Transifex (and
> other translation tools) would cope with text split between several
> messages -- sorting and filtering the messages could take things out of
> context.

I'm aware of this issue, translators for others languages may raise their
hands. I could also probe trans@fp.o on that matter, to reach all of them.
That will nevertheless make changes more atomic, and overall easier to
manage on the longer term. In the past, changes were just a matter of
adding one paragraph, or adding one more usage example. Or fixing a typo.
Which is way harder to spot when you have a 1000 chars strings tagged as
changed.

Regards,

J.
--