Martin Kosek wrote:
On 09/17/2012 09:35 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Martin Kosek wrote:
On 09/05/2012 01:02 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 5.9.2012 12:48, Martin Kosek napsal(a):
On 09/05/2012 12:36 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 5.9.2012 12:22, Petr Spacek napsal(a):
On 09/05/2012 11:30 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 5.9.2012 10:04, Martin Kosek napsal(a):
We allowed IP addresses without network specification which lead
to unexpected results when the zone was being created. We should rather
strictly require the prefix/netmask specifying the IP network that
the reverse zone should be created for. This is already done in
Web UI.

A unit test exercising this new validation was added.

I don't like this much. I would suggest using CheckedIPAddress and not
forcing
the user to enter the prefix length instead.

CheckedIPAddress uses a sensible default prefix length if one is not
specified
(class-based for IPv4, /64 for IPv6) as opposed to IPNetwork (/32 for
IPv4,
/128 for IPv6 - this causes the erroneous reverse zones to be created as
described in the ticket).

Hello,

I don't like automatic netmask guessing. I have met class-based guessing
in Windows (XP?) and I was forced to overwrite default mask all the time

If there was no guessing, you would have to write the netmask anyway, so I
don't see any harm in guessing here.

IMHO there is no "sensible default prefix" in real world. I sitting on
network with /23 prefix right now. Also, I have never seen 10.x network
with /8 prefix.

While this might be true for IPv4 in some cases, /64 is perfectly sensible
for
IPv6. Also, I have never seen 192.168.x.x network with non-/24 prefix.

Honza

While this may be true for 192.168.x.x, it does not apply for 10.x.x.x
networks
as Petr already pointed out. I don't think that there will be many people
expecting that a reverse zone of 10.0.0.0/24 would be created.

And they would be correct, because the default prefix length for a class A
network is /8, not /24.

And since FreeIPA is mainly deployed to internal networks, I assume this will
be the case of most users.

Martin

OK, but what about IPv6? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the prefix length is
going to be /64 99% of the time for IPv6.

The installer uses /24 for IPv4 addresses and /64 for IPv6 addresses, maybe
this should be used as a default here as well.

Honza

In the end, I choose a more liberal approach and instead of defining a more
stricter validator for IPv4 only I rather used approach already implemented in
the installers, i.e. default length of network prefix is 24 for IPv4 and 64 for
IPv6.

Updated patch attached.

Martin

Works for me. I wonder if this is a candidate for some more unit tests...

rob

One more test should not hurt. Updated patch attached.

Martin

ACK