On Thu, 04 Oct 2012, Petr Vobornik wrote:
On 10/03/2012 04:19 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 15:50 +0200, Petr Vobornik wrote:
As Alexander proposed in other channel. I will remove the removal of
configure.jar and offer the old configuration method if user is using FF
< 4 so we don't have to make the extension compatible with this ancient
version. It will be done this way:

If FF < 4 is detected:
   * in browserconfig.html steps 2 and 3 will be grayed-out and replaced
with step 2a with a link to ssbrowser.html and a description explaining
the problem
   * ssbrowser.html will be enhanced by steps for autoconfiguration of FF
< 4.

We can also show the steps in browserconfig, but I want to have it
somehow available even if user is not using FF<4 to keep general
awareness about the problem and also to be usable if version detection
fails. Other possible problem with steps in browserconfig is different
styles of buttons (to keep the same styles we would have to include same
css files and jquery.js to configure.jar, which I don't want to do).

Excellent plan, we should try to reduce the amount of work, and letting
old browsers use the old method is perfectly fine.
If FF15 is the only browser that fails with the old method I would even
go as far as testing exclusively with FF15 and have anything < FF15 use
the old method.

Simo.

Updated patches attached.

browserconfig.html points to older config method for versions prior to 15.

The extension is theoretically compatible with FF3.6 and then FF10 and later. There is a problem for FF4-9 with loading strings from .properties file. FF3.6 is working because it doesn't use bootstraping.

I also notice that we have an existing issue when navigating to config pages right away before accepting any certificate. Those pages are using some resorces from /ui/ folder which is redirected to https. These resources are not loaded because certificate isn't imported. If user is going straight for Web UI, he won't encounter this issue, but someone might.
I tested this patchset and apart from the non-obvious  extension
description displayed when installing it, which is based on a certificate,
everything is great.

ACK.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy