On Fri, 09 Nov 2012, John Dennis wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. I've been running the server with debug=True to verify it's behaving properly which means I've been reading /var/log/httpd/error_log and what to my wondering eyes did appear?

[core:notice] [pid 9089] AH00052: child pid 9092 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

The server seems to be running normally, except after the above segfault notice there are debug messages about loading our plugins which seems to imply it's restarting a wsgi process, but it's not clear that's what's actually happening. This is on a F18 vm.

The only other information in the log is:

*** glibc detected *** /usr/sbin/httpd: corrupted double-linked list: 0x00007f60952cddc0 ***

So a few questions:

* anybody seen something similar?
I do see it, on F18 VMs.

* does apache respawn a child process that crashes? (the log seems to suggest so)
yes.

* does systemd respawn a daemon that crashes?
Yes, if it is the main process for the service from systemd perspective.

No for Apache since master process did not fail from perspective of
systemd.

* how does one get a coredump? (Is that an apache config item?, a systemd flag?)
Theoretically, systemd sends all coredumps it sees to journal.
systemd-coredumpctl(1) is
then used to list and extract coredumps.

* any reason to believe this has anything to do with us?
I vaguely remember seeing some bugs in the Fedora Bugzilla about
mod_wsgi failures in recent Apache updates on F18. Cannot find them now.

* any suggestions for diagnosing this?
Try to set LimitCORE in httpd.service to non-zero value (as in
RLIMIT_CORE from setrlimit(2)).
Reload systemd configuration with 'systemctl daemon-reload' and hope to
get core in the journal.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy