On 12/03/2012 06:42 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 12/03/2012 12:29 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 12/03/2012 05:17 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 12/03/2012 11:03 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Petr Viktorin wrote:
Hello,
Please take a while to comment on this proposal before I post it on
the
wiki.
This is about user-visible changes I plan to make for #2652 (Framework
for admin/install tool) -- consistent behavior will (in addition to
not
confusing users) enable the framework to do common work without too
much
special-casing.

[...]

Can you list exactly which commands you're targetting?

All of them, `ls /usr/sbin/ipa*`.
The ones written in C should just get the common options, framework
stuff doesn't apply to them.

At least some (ipa-replica-manage, ipa-replica-prepare) don't have
logging but may still benefit from this structure. Did you have those
in mind as well?

Yes. They do output, they have --quiet and --verbose options. They
should use the logger even if the log doesn't happen to go to a file.
And once they do, I won't special-case them to lose --log-file.

It may be time to rewrite ipa-upgradeconfig too. It started as a
one-off and has grown considerably over the past year. It would
benefit from this as well (though other enhancements would be beyond
this scope).

The scope is https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2652: if I see
copy-pasted code, or code that reimplements something we already have
better tools for, I put it in a shared module.
This RFE just describes the outward-facing changes.

Would it affect ipa-server-install and ipa-client-install too?
I agree with Rob explicitly listing the commands would be helpful.
IMO creating a table of existing commands would be very beneficial.

I see it with the following columns:

Command     Version       Help             Quiet         Verbose
Log File     Release
xyz         added         was there        added         was there
added        Pilsner
abc         was there    was there        was there     was there
added        Pilsner
klm         added         was there        added         was there
added        Other beer

This (or similar) would allow QE to easily see what changed and when and
how to adjust test cases.
For doc it will also provide information needed.

Yes, I can provide such a table for each release.
It's long-term, low-priority effort, so it will take some time to get
all of them done.

The current state:

All commands (except ipa-getcert) have --help. None have --log-file.

                         --version -q -v -d
ipa-adtrust-install             Y  -  -  Y
ipa-ca-install                  Y  -  -  Y
ipa-client-automount            -  -  -  *
ipa-client-install              Y  -  -  Y
ipa-compat-manage               -  -  -  Y
ipa-compliance                  -  -  -  *
ipa-csreplica-manage            Y  -  Y  -
ipa-dns-install                 Y  -  -  Y
ipa-getkeytab                   -  Y  -  -
ipa-join                        -  Y  -  Y
ipa-ldap-updater                Y  -  -  Y
ipa-managed-entries             -  -  -  Y
ipa-nis-manage                  -  -  -  Y
ipa-replica-conncheck           Y  Y  -  Y
ipa-replica-install             Y  -  -  Y
ipa-replica-manage              Y  -  Y  -
ipa-replica-prepare             Y  -  -  *
ipa-rmkeytab                    -  -  -  Y
ipa-server-certinstall          -  -  -  **
ipa-server-install              Y  -  -  Y
ipa-upgradeconfig               Y  Y  -  Y
ipactl                          -  -  -  Y

* long variant (--debug) only
** -d means something else

Note that currently --debug is used much more than --verbose. There
are two reasons for favoring --verbose: it complements --quiet, and
some commands already uses -d for something else.

Can you please turn it into a page?

http://freeipa.org/page/V3/Logging_and_output

--
PetrĀ³