On 01/11/2013 02:44 PM, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
2013/1/11 John Dennis <jden...@redhat.com <mailto:jden...@redhat.com>>

Thank you Jérôme for your insights as a translator. We have a lop-sided perspective mostly from the developer point of view. We need to better understand the translator's perspective.

    I'm not sure how splitting text into smaller units gives more
    context but I can see the argument for each msgid being a logical
    paragraph. We don't have too many multi-paragraph strings now so it
    shouldn't be too involved.

One issue also discussed on this list is the problem of 100+ lines
strings in man pages generated from ___doc___ tags in scripts.
Those are a _real_ pain for translators to maintain when only one line
is changed.

I still think TX should attempt to match the msgid from a previous pot with an updated pot and show the *word* differences between the strings along with an edit window for the original translation. That would be so useful to translators I can't believe TX does not have that feature. All you would have to do is make a few trivial edits in the translation and save it.

But heck, I'm not a translator and I haven't used the translator's part of the TX tool much other than to explore how it works (and that was a while ago).

I'd see a few remarks here:
- this massive .po file would grow wildly, especially when a typo is
corrected in huge strings (__doc___), when additional sentences are
added to those, etc.
- breaking down bigger strings in smaller ones will certainly help here
in avoiding duplicated content,

- in Transifex, it is easy to upload a .po onto another branch, and only
untranslated matching strings would be updated. I used it on ananconda
where there are multiple branches between Fedora & RHEL5/6 & master,
that worked easily without breaking anything.

When you say easy to upload a .po onto another branch I assume you don't mean branch (TX has no such concept) but rather another TX resource. Anyway this is good to know, perhaps the way TX handles versions is not half as bad as it would appear.

--
John Dennis <jden...@redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/