On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:27:35PM +0100, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 15.2.2013 15:22, Ana Krivokapic wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >The .isalpha() check in validate_domain_name() was too strict,
> >causing some commands like ipa dnsrecord-add to fail.
> >
> >https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3385
>
> I would add --force option rather than removing whole check, if it's possible.
>
> Would it be possible to mention RFC in the error message? Something
> like _('top level domain label must be alphabetic (RFC 1123 section
> 2.1)')
> ?
>
> IMHO it is handy, because it educates users.

The problem is that this check is always done on the last component of
the domain_name even if it is just a sub-domain of the FreeIPA domain,
where e.g. numbers are valid characters.

At the beginning of validate_domain_name() a trailing '.' is stripped
away. iirc the trailing '.' is an indication for a complete, fully
qualified name. Would it work if the presence of the trailing '.' is
saved and the check is only done if there was a '.'?

bye,
Sumit