On 03/26/2013 07:36 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Tue, 2013-03-26 at 19:14 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Orion Poplawski wrote:
This patch uses the Fedora standard for git versioning
(version-#.git<tag>) when making rpms.  I'm afraid I haven't been able
to test for the non-git version case.

What is the purpose of this? We don't do upstream releases from
developer build, so having the wrong Source0 doesn't seem like a big
deal (though I'll admit no strictly correct).

Sound like a reasonable improvement to me, and makes it sure you do not
confuse an upstream build with a developer build, I am not so sure about
using __GIT__, it's kinda annoying to type, although shell completion
here helps I guess.

I lean toward acking this approach, if you do not have objections Rob.

Simo.

My motivation for this was from testing the pkcs12 patches. First I did an srpm build and got 3.1.99GITec94138-0.fc18.src.rpm. Then I updated the git repo, did another srpm build and got 3.1.99GIT5acd43d-1.fc18.src.rpm which would have been lower EVR wise. Now I can get:

3.1.99-1.GIT5acd43d.fc18.src.rpm

which would have been newer than

3.1.99-0.GITec94138.fc18.src.rpm

and allowed me to do yum update.

(actually, for pre-releases it should be -0.1.GIT, -0.2.GIT, ...)

So it doesn't impact releases, just local developer testing - which I don't know how much is done via rpms.

I also wouldn't expect you would ever have to type __GIT__, why do think you would? That is just in the spec.in and gets substituted out for the GIT<hash>.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  or...@cora.nwra.com