On 04/05/2013 07:59 PM, Ana Krivokapic wrote:
Hello list,

I have been thinking about the possible implementation for a solution of
ticket https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3528. There are several

1. Completely remove the commands and command options related to source
hosts in HBAC. This might not be a good idea as it could cause problems
for older clients.

2. Hide these commands/options from the web UI, but leave them in CLI.
This would keep the API intact, but I don't like the idea of introducing
inconsistencies between CLI and web UI.

3. Do not remove anything, but issue deprecation warnings. The user will
see a warning when using these commands/options, but everything will
still work.

4. Do not remove anything, but raise exceptions. This would effectively
prevent the user from using these commands/options, as the exception
will break the execution of a command.

In any case, any reference to source hosts should be removed from help
and documentation.

I am leaning towards options 3 or 4.

Thoughts, comments and ideas are welcome.

IMHO the main question is whether we want to deprecate it or remove it. SSSD is deprecating it so I would go that way too.

#1 and #4 are basically a removal, #4 a bad one.
#2 is removal from Web UI perspective.

I would do #3 with some changes. In both Web UI and CLI there should be clear label that the section/options are deprecated. We may introduce a deprecated flag. With this change we don't have to show the warning. But in CLI we might because user didn't had to read help beforehand.
--
Petr Vobornik