On 04/11/2013 02:43 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 14:24 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 04/11/2013 12:05 PM, Tomas Babej wrote:
Hi,

Makes DNAME target validation less strict and allows underscore.
This is requirement for IPA sites.

Tomas

I checked with PetrĀ², and he said it would make sense to also enable
underscores for the other records types.
For records other than TXT, SRV, DNAME, and NSEC we could warn if
underscores are used, but that's probably not worth the trouble -- just
allowing underscores everywhere is fine.

Underscores are invalid DNS characters, they should not be allowed for A
records, only for DNAME, and SRV records IMO.

Technically, they're invalid *hostname* characters; in DNS itself anything goes.

Interestingly, we already allow them for A records:
$ ipa dnsrecord-add idm.lab.eng.brq.redhat.com _bogus --a-rec=1.2.3.4
  Record name: _bogus
  A record: 1.2.3.4

But this ticket is not about the record name, it's about record data (i.e. the *target* of the DNAME).

That said I am ok allowing them on other records provided we warn
prominently.

Simo.

--
PetrĀ³