On 04/10/2013 06:26 PM, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
Le 10/04/2013 14:27, Yuri Chornoivan a écrit :
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:37:10 +0300 було написано Petr Viktorin
<pvikt...@redhat.com>:

On 04/08/2013 05:54 PM, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
написане Mon, 08 Apr 2013 18:45:30 +0300, Petr Viktorin
<pvikt...@redhat.com>:

Hello, FreeIPA translators!

We wanted to give enough time for translations, so we made an upstream
string freeze last week, giving about two weeks of translation time
until the beta.
We didn't expect most of the translations to be done already --
Ukrainian at 100% and French with 40 strings missing. Thank you!!

Meanwhile we have some fixes upstream that add/change additional
strings that would have to be postponed for the next release.
How much would it inconvenience you if instead of postponing the
patches, we'd push each change to Transifex as it is pushed to master?

In the past Jèrôme said that updating continuously would be better
than the string freezes and mass updates we do now. We don't have
resources to automate that*, but for slipping a few strings past
string freeze it could work.

Hi,

Surely, it would be good to have fixes now (as well as some announce in
tr...@lists.fedoraproject.org ).

And I'm all of the Jèrôme's proposal. It is enough to have updates
every
3-4 months. That will make the translation process significantly
easier.

Okay. I've pushed the updates to Transifex (7 new strings, expect a
couple more), and I'll do some more frequent updates in the future.

Thanks for your work.

And you have my thank you as well.
As we tend to agree for at least two mostly/fully translated languages,
I'd say that yes, regular updates (could be every 2 or 3 or 4 weeks to
have strings to translate, but not too many in a row) would be easier
for everybody to catch up.

I've lurked on tr...@lists.fedoraproject.org for a while and haven't
seen many announcements from projects. Is it the right list to
communicate string freezes/deadlines/releases?

Yes. This is the right list for Fedora translation announces.
Personally, I do not know why other Fedora Upstream projects do not
announce their translation dates in this list. It is easy to send a
message there and target Fedora translation coordinators of many
languages at once.

Yes, it might happen that you will not obtain much translations at
once, but I cannot imagine the other way to contact new translators.

Such strategy (regular announces in translator's mailing lists) works
fine in many projects (KDE, GNOME, Audacity etc.) It's a win-win
situation. You cannot lose if you make even one-sentence announces and
do it regularly.
What could be done here is to show some role model.
While it is good for translators, some projects may also rely on the
fact that their own translators catch up by subscribing to their own
project updates in Transifex, which gives them the go to translate
remaining strings. This is for instance how it works for a few ones in
the French team.

Okay, I'll announce the next "string freeze" there.

But I also agree that broadly announced strings freezes, and broad and
regular calls to contributions will get further attention for languages
that do not have yet the level of contributions Ukrainian or French
currently have.

Last item, I've been quite busy by day work these days, but I'm also
working on a way to automate splitting huge strings such as the plugins
help/usage pages in smaller chunks (a 15 min
draft of the script seems to work for those plugins, attached if you
want to have a look at it). I did not test it yet to see the final
result, and I also need to work on doing the same on the .po files in
order to avoid manually splitting the translations.

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't know Perl, so the script is a complete mystery to me. I'm busy on day work as well but I can see that with more frequent updates, splitting the strings is even more important.

I will keep you posted here when I have something.

Regards,

J.

--
Petr³