As a possible approach to getting things started, would it be possible to use Alien and a JEOS install to get the FreeIPA server running on a Debian system, and then work on converting over the dependencies one at a time?

It seems like there are likely to be a series of Debian vs Fedora issues, WRT things like Python Path (lib vs lib64) and so forth.

Also, the Dogtag install is a very Custom way of configuring a Tomcat App. It is likely to But up against the Debian packaging standards for Java Web Apps: http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep7/

One other difference between the Debian and Fedora philosophies is that, after apt-get install, you tend to have a deployed service, whereas the Yum/RPM based approach calls for a post deployment configuration stage.

It sounds like the effort should be split along the Core FreeIPA work and the Dogtag work. We used to have a "Self-Signed" Ca approach for IPA that would be useful to have again. With the current "External CA" work, we might be able to do something similar: generate the certificates we need in a self-signed manner and provide them to the IPA server. That will let the Dogtag effort continue without holding up the rest of the work.