On 3.9.2013 18:16, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 09/02/2013 04:49 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 22.8.2013 15:43, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently investigating support for multiple CA certificates in LDAP
(<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3259>,
<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3520>). This will be useful
for CA
certificate renewal (<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3304>,
<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3737>) and using
certificates issued
by custom CAs for IPA HTTP and directory server instances
(<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3641>).

The biggest issue is how to make IPA clients aware of CA certificate
changes.
One of the tickets suggests polling the LDAP server from SSSD. Would
that be
sufficient? Perhaps a combination of polling and detecting
certificate changes
when connecting to LDAP would be better?

Another issue is how to handle updating IPA systems with new CA
certificate(s). On clients it is probably sufficient to store the
certificate(s) in /etc/ipa/ca.crt, but on servers there are multiple
places
where the update needs to be done (HTTP and directory server NSS
databases,
KDC pkinit_anchors file, etc.). IMO doing all this from SSSD is
unrealistic,
so there should be a way to do this externally. The simplest thing
that comes
to mind is that SSSD would execute an external script to do the
update when it
detects changes, but I'm not sure how well would that work with
SELinux in the
picture. Is there a better way to do this?

It reminds me problems with key-rotation for DNSSEC.

Could we find common problems and use the same/similar solution for
both problems?

An extension for certmonger? Oddjob? Or a completely new daemon?

Certmonger already has a way to:
1) Check things periodically
2) Hand certs in different places
3) Run post op scripts

IMO it is a good candidate but I would leave it to Nalin to chime in.

I would expect more things that require periodic checking on clients beyond certificates to come in the future, so I'm not sure if doing this in certmonger is the right thing to do. Also, SSSD already does a similar thing for realm domains, right?

Honza

--
Jan Cholasta