On 10/21/2013 03:57 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 10/18/2013 04:28 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 10/03/2013 12:42 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 10/02/2013 01:26 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 10/02/2013 01:07 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
To sum it up,  I would rather not build our permission system on this group.

I think we need top base our ACIs on LDAP bind targets ldap:///all and
ldap:///anyone to avoid performance issues and issues with ipausers not being
complete:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Access_Control-Bind_Rules.html

I rather think we want to base the permissions on binddn. In the beginning,
there would be 3 types of permissions based on binddn:

* groupdn based: standard permissions that can be assigned privileges
* ldap:///all permissions for all authenticated users. Cannot be assigned to
privileges (would not make sense)
* ldap:///anyone permissions for all, including anonymous users. Cannot be
assigned to privileges (would not make sense)

Just few examples:
Read users - ldap:///anyone
Read groups - ldap:///anyone
Read sudo - ldap:///all
Read hbac - ldap:///all

Basing the permissions on these would allow us to get rid of all the awful
deny permissions.

To make the permission Bind part more user friendly, there should be an
option
in permission-find and a switch in Web UI to e.g. list permissions by bind
type, i.e.:
- anonymous permissions
- authenticated users permissions
- group based permissions

If use would want to e.g restrict sudo only to specified group, I would see
this workflow:
1) Change bind type from "authenticated users" to "group based"
2) Bind permission to chosen privilege
3) ...

And the opposite, if he wants to make reading more open:
1) Unbind permission from privilege
2) Change bind type to "authenticated users" or "anonymous"

Makes sense?

Yes.

I agree with Martin's comments too.

Simo.

We use privileges to group related permissions. For example an "Automount
Reader" privilege would contain "read automount keys" and "read automount maps"
permissions.
Wouldn't it make more sense (from the user's point of view at least) to have
this setting at the privilege level?

The selfservice plugin does pretty much the same thing. Should we (aim to) move
selfservice functionality to this system?

selfservice is not involved in privileges, neither is delegation, they are just
handling raw ACIs in a custom manner.

With ldap:///all and ldap:///anyone we could theoretically add new permission
types and commands, like anonymousrbac-add or authenticatedrbac-add, but I
think it would be best to keep them with standard permissions for several
reasons:
1) Can use the new cool features you are adding to permission entries
2) With these ACIs, it makes sense to convert them to group-based permission
and assign to a privilege (does not make that much sense with selfservice ACIs).

AFAIU, we all agree on that and the only part is how the
anonymous/authenticated-user permissions should be grouped.

I still think that grouping them in privileges or roles does not make much
sense - anonymous/authenticated-user ACIs do not need to be grouped anywhere,
setting binddn is enough.

It would be just our custom wiring in framework without much benefit to real
functionality in LDAP. If you have a privilege "Automount Reader" with setting
"Access: Anonymous: or similar, what if you add more non-anonymous permission
to the privilege? What would happen then? Or what if you remove permission from
the privilege, should it automagically become group-based ACI?

Going with the workflow I described above seems to me as the most direct
approach with keeping the anonymous/authenticated users/group based information
in the single authoritative source - ACI/permission.

And, since these permissions are longer be compatible with old versions, I
could move them out of $SUFFIX and onto the relevant containers. That should
also help performance.

+1

Martin

Alright, I'm crafting an updated design page with the above in mind. Here are
the main differences.

New permissions won't (necessarily) be in $SUFFIX, so old IPA servers will not
be able to modify them.
Extra attribute types needed in addition to ipaPerm*Attributes would be:
   - ipaPermBindType (anonymous/any authenticated user/normal permission)
   - ipaPermDN (container DN where the ACI is stored)

And objectclasses to group them:

'ipaPermissionV2' SUP ipaPermission AUXILIARY MUST ( ipaPermBindType $
ipaPermDN )
'ipaManagedPermission' SUP ipaPermissionV2 AUXILIARY MAY ( ipaPermDefaultAttrs
$ ipaPermAllowedAttrs $ ipaPermExcludedAttrs )

As for 'ipaPermissionV2', all non-SYSTEM permissions should be updated to it.
Maybe a better name is needed.

Another idea I had is to store all variable parts of the ACI in the permission
entry. This would mean we'd not need to parse ACIs to read, search, or update
them, which should make these operations faster and the code could be
simplified.
Doing this would require these new attribute types:
   - ipaPermRight (add, update, read, delete, etc.)
   - ipaPermObjectType
   - ipaPermMemberof
   - ipaPermFilter
   - ipaPermSubtree
   - ipaPermTargetgroup

Would that make sense?

It partially makes sense - it would speed up permission-find commands. However,
it would also duplicate information and sets it in 2 places. Which smells like
a bucket of potential bugs to me.

What if somebody changes ipaPermObjectType, but ACI update fails or is
interrupted for some reason? It would create inconsistency between permission
entry and the ACI itself. Which should prevail?

Unless permission-find performance is not a problem (yet?), I would not add
these new attributes and only add ipaPermDN as this information is required.

OK

I am thinking if we need to add a special objectClass for this new attribute,
it could be added as MAY to ipaPermission, along with ipaPermDefaultAttrs,
ipaPermAllowedAttrs, ipaPermExcludedAttrs. When the DN is not there, it would
simply default to SUFFIX DN.

Yes, I'll add ipaPermDN to ipaPermission.

However I'll put the ipaPerm*Attrs attributes in ipaManagedPermission, as in the original design. They don't make any sense on other types of permissions.

There is another data duplication: both managed permissions and permissions with ipaPermDN need to have flags (ipaPermissionType) set to make sure old servers don't try to manipulate them. However if any inconsistencies happen here, it will only matter in the upgrade period.

--
PetrĀ³