On 11/20/2013 11:08 AM, Derek Moore wrote:
> Ok, I can't see authors' names in your wiki. I just meant maybe that
> author could be a resource inside OpenShift re: DNS testing.
>
> Otherwise, their mailing list is:

> And they promote their Google+ community a lot:
>
> https://plus.google.com/communities/114361859072744017486
>
> Also, check out the #1 Top Idea feature request:
>
> https://www.openshift.com/ideas
> i.e.,
> https://www.openshift.com/content/please-provide-a-dns-server
>
> In my attempts to interact with OpenShift devs, I've mostly jumped into:
>
> http://irc.lc/freenode/openshift-dev
>

> In fact, I just hopped into #openshift-dev on IRC, and I think I have
> a good point-of-contact for you guys re: DNS integration and DNS testing:
>
> [09:51] <derekm> hey all... some FreeIPA devs are wondering: Who would
> be a good dev contact inside OpenShift re: DNS server and/or automated
> bind-dyndb-ldap testing?
> [09:51] <markllama> err.  I'm afraid that might be me.  What's the
> question?
> [09:51] <derekm> markllama: they just want to have a point of contact
> for cross-project coordination and integration
> [09:52] <markllama> the automated testing might get referred to QE.
> [09:53] <derekm> FreeIPA is starting work on a DNS test suite in
> conjunction with Knot DNS folks
> [09:54] <derekm> I suggested they try to coordinate with you guys,
> too, since you use an internal bind with dynamic domains
> [09:54] * markllama will have to learn Knot.
> [09:54] * markllama was just thinking about who to coordinate with to
> add an OpenShift plugin to update DNS via the LDAP db in FreeIPA
> rather than RFC2136
> [09:55] <derekm> if you don't mind, I'll pass on your name to the
> freeipa-dev list as a potential point of contact
> [09:55] <markllama> yep, I can at least field the questions and find
> the contacts either in OpenShift or in the IPA group here.
>

> I don't see Mark Llama on the mailing list, so you might have to go to
> IRC to catch him.

Yes I know Mark. He was involved in the FreeIPA OpenShift integration
effort. AFAIU it should all be available upstream in the OpenShift Origin.
One should be able to use FreeIPA as a DNS server for OpenShift. Isn't
it the case?

I will see what I can do what the situation is...

> [...]
>>             nsupdate?
>>
>>             Maybe they don't care as much since they use a limited
>>             subset of BIND only
>>             for namespace and app subdomains.
>>

>>         Generally, I don't see a reason why not. Do you have any
>>         pointer to the right mailing list or particular person? It
>>         would help me a lot because I know next to nothing about
>>         OpenShift.
>>
>>         Thank you!
>>
>>         Petr^2 Spacek
>>

>>             Knot DNS looks cool, hadn't heard of these guys yet.
>>

>>             On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Petr Spacek
>>             <pspa...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>                 Hello list,
>>
>>                 as you may know, we don't have any tests for
>>                 bind-dyndb-ldap/DNS in
>>                 FreeIPA. It seems that we have a chance to change
>>                 that now.
>>
>>                 The LinuxAlt conference 2013 brought the information
>>                 that Knot DNS [1]
>>                 developers plan to write a new test suite for their
>>                 server, but as usual,
>>                 resources are limited and nobody really want to spent
>>                 time on tests :-)
>>
>>                 This resulted in the idea of test-sharing between
>>                 Knot DNS and
>>                 bind-dyndb-ldap/FreeIPA. I think that this would be
>>                 beneficial for both
>>                 sides.
>>
>>                 We can mutually re-use tests from the other project,
>>                 so overall cost of
>>                 test-development will be lower for both sides.
>>
>>                 The only technical obstacle is that we need to
>>                 design/to bend testing
>>                 framework from Knot DNS, so it will be able to run
>>                 the same set of tests
>>                 against BIND with bind-dyndb-ldap.
>>
>>                 It seems feasible after a quick look. We just need to
>>                 allocate some time
>>                 for initial discussion/framework design/bending and
>>                 then we can add tests
>>                 incrementally, as our schedule allows.
>>
>>                 Current 'test suite' is a part of Knot DNS git repo,
>>                 and I think that it
>>                 can stay in this way. The idea is to:
>>                 - clone the repo
>>                 - set few environment variables (to direct tests to
>>                 local BIND)
>>                 - run the tests
>>
>>                 That is it :-)
>>
>>                 It would be great if we could spend some time on this
>>                 now. We need to
>>                 discuss it and prepare the testing framework.
>>
>>                 We risk that Knot DNS guys will go ahead and design
>>                 the framework in a way
>>                 which will not fit to our needs if we will wait too long.
>>
>>                 [1] http://www.knot-dns.cz/
>>                 [2]
>>                 https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/knot/tree/master/tests-
>>                 extra/functional
>>
>>                 The bonus part: A wiki page about current functional
>>                 tests for Knot DNS:
>>                 https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/knot/wikis/functional-testing

>     --
>     Thank you,
>     Dmitri Pal
>
>     Sr. Engineering Manager for IdM portfolio

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.