On 13.12.2013 15:16, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 12/10/2013 04:05 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Hi,

I believe the time has come to drop support for the legacy (dn,
entry_attrs) tuple API and move to the new LDAPEntry API exclusively.
The attached patches convert existing code which uses the old API to the
new API and remove backward compatibility code from the ipaldap module.

Note that there are still some functions/methods which accept separate
dn and entry_attrs arguments, they will be adapted to LDAPEntry later.

Honza

The first N-1 patches can be tested,acked,pushed independently, right?

Yes.

If that's the case, ACK for 225

As for dropping the support itself, I think we should think more about
backward compatibility. This will affect nearly all third-party plugins,
and I'm sure there are a few.

Are there?

I'd recommend something like:
3.4: Warn in release notes that we'll be dropping support; log a warning
when __iter__ is used
3.5: Make __iter__ raise an exception (we don't want to silently start
returning different data)
3.6: Finally start acting like a dict

Could we raise an exception now instead of waiting for 3.5? Fixing the plugins is nothing hard, you know...