On 01/02/2014 08:40 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 20.12.2013 16:01, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On some platforms, "/usr/bin/python" is Python 3. We require Python 2 so
we should explicitly use /usr/bin/python2.

Xiao-Long, who owns FreeIPA in Arch Linux's AUR [0], wrote a patch for
this issue. I've just updated the patch to current master (so any
breakage this causes is my fault).

[0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freeipa

Why not use distutils to fill in the correct interpreter path
(http://docs.python.org/2/distutils/setupscript.html#installing-scripts)

That could be nice to do, at some time, in addition to this change. Do you want to file a ticket?

instead of hardcoding it?

- Not all of FreeIPA uses distutils. Of course client-install should probably start using it, but distutils can't touch Makefiles or the spec file. - Having the proper path already available makes development a lot simpler than having complicated build machinery to call for each change. - To people unfamiliar with this aspect of distutils, it would not be obvious why/how the hashbang is changed on install. We need less magic in our build system, not more. - Relying on distutils makes FreeIPA tied to our build system, which other distros may or may not want to reuse.

--
Petr³