In attempting to write an OTP synchronization client, I've noticed it
doesn't fit into the framework very well. The job of the client is to
perform the synchronization extended operation. The format of the
request is this:

     OTPSyncRequestValue ::= SEQUENCE {
         userDN            OCTET STRING,
         tokenDN      [0]  OCTET STRING OPTIONAL,
         firstFactor  [1]  OCTET STRING OPTIONAL,
         firstCode         INTEGER,
         secondCode        INTEGER
     }

In all cases, the user MUST provide two token codes and MAY provide the
DN of a token to sync.

>From here two cases exist: bound and unbound.

In the unbound case, both the userDN and firstFactor fields are required
and authentication is performed internally.

In the bound case, the client has already bound (usually via a kerberos
ticket). In this case, the client must provide userDN only. There are
two options here. First, the client can generate the userDN
automatically from the kerberos ticket metadata. Second, the extop
plugin can make the userDN field optional and simply rely on the
internal bind DN. This is my preferred route, and will require a new
revision of the otp sync patch (no problem). In this second case, if the
user is bound, the DS plugin would ignore the values of
userDN/firstFactor.

Assuming the second case to be true, how do I write a command in the
framework that will attempt a krb5 bind and then prompt for
username/password if the bind fails? Also, how do I, on the client side,
without any bind to LDAP translate the username to the userDN? The same
is true for the token ID to DN translation? Would it be better to write
this code independently of the FreeIPA client command framework?

Nathaniel