We had a discussion with other developers how better track who is reviewing
which patch. Recently, we introduced the Reviewed-By tag in a commit message,
but that is a post-review tag which is not useful for someone who wants to know
which patches are already reviewed and which are not reviewed.

We were testing Patch Work [1] in last months to contain this information, but
I personally think that it is suboptimal - it introduces 2 tracking tools that
needs to be maintained (Trac and Patch Work) and the Patch Work still requires
lot of manual actions when maintaining it's state.

I think it would be better to hold this information rather in a single tracking
tool - Trac. There are 2 options:

1) "Patch on review" flag, similar to "Patch posted for review" flag which
would hold 1 bit information if the patch is just lying there or has somebody
assigned.

2) "Reviewed by" text field which would hold a login of a person who is
reviewing it. It would be filled either by a person starting the review or by a
supervisor like me to forcefully assign a reviewer ;-)

With that information in Trac, we could run using a single tracking tool for
all patches that have a ticket (which is 95% of patches). It would be then
fairly easy to see which patches are sent for review but are reviewer-less.

It would also have a benefit for Petr's sendpatches.py script which could pull
the reviewer from a ticket and one would not have to use the "-r" option to
hard code a reviewer.

Any objections to using "Reviewed by" field?

[1]
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Contribute/Code#Tracking_patches_.28Experimental.29

--
Martin Kosek <mko...@redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team