Hi,

On 21.2.2014 16:09, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 09:45 -0500, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
We had originally decided to provide defaults on the server side so that
they could be part of a global config for the admin. However, on further
reflection, only certain defaults really make sense given the
limitations of Google Authenticator. Similarly, other defaults may be
token specific.

Attempting to handle defaults on the server side also makes both the UI
and the generated documentation unclear.

NOTE: this patch changes an existing API. VERSION says that we should
bump the major version in this case. But we haven't actually released
this API yet. Please advise.

There were similar changes in the past and bumping minor version was always enough (we never ever bump major version).

I forgot to mention something else about this patch. The default_from in
the key parameter generates a warning. This is because the default is a
bytes string and internally a check is done against NULLS
(constants.py:36). The u'' in NULLS forces an attempt to convert the
byte string to unicode. When this fails (because ipatokenotpkey is *NOT*
a string but a byte array), a warning is thrown.

Since '' and u'' evaluate as equal, what is the point of having u'' in
NULLS? I don't see any way to suppress this warning except to remove u''
from NULLS.

I think we can get rid of NULLS entirely and do something better instead (like "if not value and value is not False:").

Is this worth filing a ticket?

Nathaniel

Honza

--