On 02/27/2014 06:19 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Rich Megginson wrote:
On 02/26/2014 03:48 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 15:28 -0700, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 02/26/2014 03:22 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Rich Megginson wrote:
On 02/26/2014 02:19 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Rich Megginson wrote:
On 02/26/2014 08:53 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 02/26/2014 04:45 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
I'm working on adding support for freeipa DNS to openstack
designate
(DNSaaS). I am assuming I need to use RPC (XML? JSON? REST?) to
communicate with freeipa.  Is there documentation about how to
construct
and send RPC messages?
The JSON-RPC and XML-RPC API is still not "officially supported"
(read: documented), though it's extremely unlikely to change.
If you need an example, run any ipa command with -vv, this will
print
out the request & response.
API.txt in the source tree lists all the commands and params.
This blog post still applies (but be sure to read the update about
--cacert):
http://adam.younglogic.com/2010/07/talking-to-freeipa-json-web-api-via-curl/

Ok.  Next question is - how does one do the equivalent of the curl
command in python code?
Here is a pretty stripped-down way to add a user. Other commands are
similar, you just may care more about the output:

from ipalib import api
from ipalib import errors

api.bootstrap(context='cli')
api.finalize()
api.Backend.xmlclient.connect()

try:
     api.Command['user_add'](u'testuser',
                             givenname=u'Test', sn=u'User',
                             loginshell=u'/bin/sh')
except errors.DuplicateEntry:
     print "user already exists"
else:
     print "User added"

How would one do this from outside of ipa?  If ipalib is not
available?
You'd need to go to either /ipa/xml or /ipa/json (depending on what
protocol you want to use) and issue one request there. This requires
Kerberos authentication. The response will include a cookie which you
should either ignore or store safely (like in the kernel keyring).
Using the cookie will significantly improve performance.
This is for the ipa dns backend for designate.  I'm assuming I will
either be using a keytab, or perhaps the new proxy?

At any rate, I have to do everything in python - including the kinit
with the keytab.
Lok at rob's damon but you should *not* do a kinit, you should just use
gssapi (see python-kerberos) and do a gss_init_sec_context there, if the
environment is configured (KRB5_KTNAME set correctly) then gssapi will
automatically kinit for you under the hood.

I guess I'm really looking for specifics - I've seen recommendations to
use the python libraries "requests" and "json".  I don't know if
requests supports negotiate/kerberos.  If not, is there a recommended
library to use?  As this particular project will be part of openstack,
perhaps there is a more "openstack"-y library, or even something
built-in to openstack (oslo?).  I think amqp support kerberos, so
perhaps there is some oslo.messaging thing that will do the http +
kerberos stuff.
Afaik there is nothing that does kerberos in openstack, you'll have to
introduce all that stuff.

Egads - implementing openstack-wide kerberos client libraries in order
to add an ipa dns backend to designate.

Rob, need any help with your proxy?

Well, something occurred to me this morning. You need SSL on top of this too, which means you need the IPA CA. The easiest way to get that is to enroll the designate server as an IPA client. This pulls in the freeipa-python package which gives you ipalib, so no reinventing the wheel required.

I'm trying to use python-kerberos to do auth with a keytab (KRB5_KTNAME), without first doing a kinit from the command line. It is not working.

Does anyone know how I can do client side kerberos auth with a keytab in python without first doing a kinit?