Justin Brown wrote:
Dmitri,

I'd be more than happy to, but I'm having trouble figuring out where
it should go. Could you send me a link to a similar design page?

I'd put it under here: http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4_Proposals

There is a template at http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template

So maybe something like http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Firewalld

rob

Thanks,
Justin

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Dmitri Pal <d...@redhat.com> wrote:
On 04/07/2014 09:00 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:

Simo Sorce wrote:

On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 09:59 +0200, Petr Spacek wrote:

On 4.4.2014 09:17, Martin Kosek wrote:

On 04/04/2014 09:04 AM, Justin Brown wrote:

I would actually do it the opposite way and open the ports after the
FreeIPA server is fully configured. After all, I do not think we want to
open the ports when the server is just half-configured and for example some
ACIs are missing.

My thinking was that nothing would be listening on these ports if the
install doesn't succeed, but there's really necessity to modify the
firewall configuration early. (All of the internal install
communication will be over a local interface (to netfilter) and
unblock anyways. I don't have any problem in delaying firewall
configuration to the end of install.

If ipa-server-install does succeed without configuring the firewalld,
then we
will indeed have no other option than to do it early.

I am  thinking that we may want to put all the firewalld configuration
in
ipaserver/install/firewalldinstance.py,
and then make the firewalld configuration the actual step of the
installation.
Something like:

Configuring Firewall (firewalld)
     [1/2]: looking up the right zone
     [2/2]: allowing ports
Done configuring Firewall (firewalld).

The Service class derived object can be really simple, we would just
reuse the
functionality it already has + let us properly hook into it in
ipa-{server,replica}-install and the uninstallation.

It would also make it easier to split this functionality to
freeipa-server-firewalld if we chose to in a future.

In general I agree with the idea, thank you Justin for working on that!

I would like to emphasis the necessity to work without NetworkManager
and
FirewallD. New dependencies make Debian folks unhappy ...

On the other hand, it is perfectly fine to skip firewall configuration
if
NM/FirewallD/DBus is not available.

Have a nice day!

Should be easy, probe for the dbus firewalld service and just skip (not
error out) if it is not there.
Set a variable in that case that will cause the installer to throw the
classic banner we have now which warns you about what ports need to be
opened at the end of the install.

Probably just need to spit out a large, preferably flashing warning that
the firewall has not been automatically configured. Perhaps even multiple
times: one in-line and one at the install summary at the end.

Thanks for looking into this!

Would it be possible to summarize this thread in a design page on the wiki?

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio