I was looking into ticket
and experimenting with ACIs allowing privileged users to manage only their own LDAP objects.

As already proposed in the Bugzilla, I had success with following ACIs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# ldapmodify -h `hostname` -D "cn=Directory Manager" -x -w Secret123
dn: cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=mkosek-fedora20,dc=test
add: aci
aci: (targetattr = "userclass")(targetfilter = "(objectclass=ipahost)")(version 3.0;acl "permission:Modify own hosts";allow (write) userattr = "creatorsName#USERDN";)

modifying entry "cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=mkosek-fedora20,dc=test"

# ldapmodify -h `hostname` -D "cn=Directory Manager" -x -w Secret123
dn: cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=mkosek-fedora20,dc=test
add: aci
aci: (targetfilter = "(objectclass=ipahost)")(version 3.0;acl "permission:Modify own hosts";allow (delete) userattr = "creatorsName#USERDN";)

modifying entry "cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=mkosek-fedora20,dc=test"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I then added a user fbar with permission "Add hosts", I was able to do exactly what proposed in the ticket:

$ ipa host-add test.example.com --force
-----------------------------
Added host "test.example.com"
-----------------------------
  Host name: test.example.com
  Principal name: host/test.example....@mkosek-fedora20.test
  Password: False
  Keytab: False
  Managed by: test.example.com

$ ipa host-mod test.example.com --class foo
--------------------------------
Modified host "test.example.com"
--------------------------------
  Host name: test.example.com
  Principal name: host/test.example....@mkosek-fedora20.test
  Class: foo
  Password: False
  Keytab: False
  Managed by: test.example.com

$ ipa host-mod admin.example.com --class foo
ipa: ERROR: Insufficient access: Insufficient 'write' privilege to the 'userClass' attribute of entry 'fqdn=admin.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=mkosek-fedora20,dc=test'.

$ ipa host-del admin.example.com
ipa: ERROR: Insufficient access: Insufficient 'delete' privilege to delete the entry 'fqdn=admin.example.com,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=mkosek-fedora20,dc=test'.

$ ipa host-del test.example.com
-------------------------------
Deleted host "test.example.com"
-------------------------------

I think this could be pretty powerful also with other LDAP objects. Question is what can be done to allow that to our users.

I do not think we should add these ACIs by default as not everybody would like them. But if we enhance our permission API to allow the userattr bind rule, admins could add these ACIs at their wish.

IMO the API is not that difficult, something like this could work:

$ ipa permission-add test --bindtype=userattr --bind-attr=creatorsname --bind-attr-type=USERDN

--bind-attr could be more or less free form text to allow "creatorsname" or "parent[0].creatorsname"
--bind-attr-type would be enum of values USERDN/GROUPDN

This should cover most of the basic use cases.

Thoughts?

--
Martin Kosek <mko...@redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team