On 11.4.2014 13:31, Petr Viktorin wrote:
One of the default_attributes of permission is memberofindirect, a
virtual attribute manufactured by ldap2, which is set when a permission
is part of a role.
When update_entry is called on an entry with memberofindirect, ipaldap
tries to add the attribute to LDAP and fails with an objectclass violation.

Do not ask for memberindirect when retrieving the entry.

CCing Honza since he designs ipaldap. Virtual attributes are often
helpful, and in any case IPA uses them a lot and having to filter them
out every time is error-prone.
Maybe we should add support for them directly in ipaldap -- e.g. an
attribute set by `entry.virtual[attr_name] = [x]` would be visible in
entry[attr_name] but would not be synced back to LDAP?

I would prefer if we stopped abusing LDAPEntry to handle non-LDAP stuff in the future. Your suggestion works in sort of opposite direction, so I can't say I like it.

Currently we use LDAPEntry in frontend code directly, but I think that's wrong. There should be a frontend-specific class for this (make ipalib.frontend.Object instantiable?) and LDAPEntry should be used (almost) only in backend code.

Honza