On 30.4.2014 09:12, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 04/30/2014 08:21 AM, Fraser Tweedale wrote:
Hi all,

Fraser Tweedale, brand new Red Hatter, working in the Brisbane
office on FreeIPA/Dogtag, and needing the wisdom of seasoned IPA
developers on how best to set things up.

In particular, is it common to be developing in VMs, and if so, do
the various components (DS, Dogtag, IPA etc) under (or involved in)
development reside on the same host?  Are there any developer images
that are ready to roll?

Or if it is more common to simply develop on one's workstation
directly, do you have any tips to doing this sanely?  freeipa seemed
find to build but the pki build seems to want root, which scares me
a little... but perhaps I am just Doing It Wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I look forward to getting to
you know you all.

Cheers,

Fraser

Welcome Fraser!

I can share with you my workflow. I also do everything on VMs in our RHEV-M lab.

In basic scenarios, you will be OK with just one Fedora or RHEL VM where you
build and install all packages built from git (make rpms). Then you simply add
more VMs when dealing with replication, clients, ...

We tried to capture all the basic information on this page:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Contribute/Code

and the linked pages. You now also have an unique opportunity to see that these
pages are helpful to new developers and potentially help and improve them :)

Yes! Freeipa.org wiki accepts ordinary Fedora Accounts so please correct any mistakes/outdated information you encounter during your journey.

Thank you very much!

--
Petr^2 Spacek