On 05/23/2014 04:55 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Fri, 2014-05-23 at 10:13 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
This, I believe, has already been covered, but I'm concerned with the
(over)use of active/inactive in this discussion.

I think use of "inactive" and "active" to describe users might be
confusing since there is already an account enable/disable command.
This
on top of unlock, are there now 3 possible boolean states a user can
be
in? locked/unlocked, enabled/disabled, active/inactive, plus
deleted/active and staged/active?

Agree, we should only have "ipa user-unstage <username>" and not call
this operations with words like active/inactive.

User's in the staging area are not inactive, they are *not* users yet in
the first place.

Simo.

Ok. Let us consolidate the decisions, I think we are now running in circles. Let me start from Petr3's API proposal which was a functionally complete proposal and start from there:

On 05/22/2014 10:47 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> My proposal would be that the move commands use the verb for the target and an
> option for the source, and add/mod use an option for the container:
>
> 1) adding a new user
> (to active)   ipa user-add tuser ...
> (to stage)    ipa user-add tuser --staged ...

Ok.

> (to deleted)  ipa user-add tuser --deleted ...  (*)

Not needed.

> 2) moving to main
> (from stage)  ipa user-activate tuser  (**)
> (from del)    ipa user-activate tuser --deleted

We need both, alternative is Simo's proposal:

ipa user-unstage
ipa user-undelete

I personally like unstage and undelete commands, I would go with those.

> 3) moving to deleted
> (from active) ipa user-del tuser

Ok.

> (from stage)  ipa user-del tuser --staged

IMO staged deleted users should not be moved to deleted container, but simply permanently deleted. As Simo noted, staged user are not real users, just incomplete users.

> 4) moving to stage
> (from active) ipa user-stage tuser
> (from del)    ipa user-stage tuser --deleted

None of the commands are needed for the basic workflow.

> 5) modifying
> (in active)   ipa user-mod tuser ...

Ok.

> (in stage)    ipa user-mod tuser --staged ...

Simo did not like this command, I would personally add it. As long as we have "ipa user-add --staged", we should also have an option to delete and modify user in staged area.

> (in del)      ipa user-mod tuser --deleted ...

Not needed.

Is this acceptable for everyone? If yes, the next step would be for Thierry to update the design page with new proposals.