Hello list,

the thread "named's LDAP connection hangs" on freeipa-users list [1] opened question "Why do we use Kerberos for named<->DS connection? Named connects over LDAPI to local DS instance anyway."

Maybe we can get rid of Kerberos for this particular connection and use autobind instead. It would make it more reliable and effective.

As a side effect, named will be able to start even if KDC is down for some reason. It partially solves chicken-egg problem during IPA start-up.

I wasn't around when it bind-dyndb-ldap was designed so I don't know historical reasons.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2014-June/msg00065.html

--
Petr^2 Spacek