On 07/04/2014 03:30 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 07/04/2014 03:20 PM, Martin Basti wrote:
On Fri, 2014-07-04 at 15:13 +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 4.7.2014 13:34, Martin Basti wrote:
Hi list,

I need increase version number in ipa-3-3 branch to 2.66, but 2.66 is
already used in ipa-master branch (2.66 Add support for managing user
auth types). Fortunately it is very minor change so If I don't increase
the version nothing happens.

How to solve this problem? Don't increase the version number in ipa-3-3
anymore (?)

If we will increase the IPA-3 API version to number which hits a IPA-4
capability, it could break communication between ipa3-client and
ipa4-server.

Should we try increase the major version sometimes?

Would 2.66.1 work?

IMO 2.65.1, 2.65.2, .. 2.65.x  and never reach 2.66, but I dont know is
this possible in framework?

The versions are (supposed to be) compared with version.LooseVersion, so
this should work.
There may be a case where it would break, but if we need this in ipa-3-3
it would be worth it to test.

Of course, backporting new capabilities to older versions would still be
impossible in this scheme.

BTW, the comparison code in Command.verify_client_version looks like it was written with 3+-part versions in mind:

        ver = version.LooseVersion(client_version)
        if len(ver.version) < 2:
            raise VersionError(cver=ver.version, sver=server_ver.version,
server= self.env.xmlrpc_uri)
        client_major = ver.version[0]
        client_minor = ver.version[1]

--