Ludwig Krispenz wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on ticket #4302 and am building a protoptype to verify if
> the current design [1] will work an what is missing.
>
> Now the question comes up, how will this be managed and what happens
> with eg ipa-replica-manage ? If the topology plugin is deployed and
> configured it will control all replication related tasks via
> modifcations of the entries in the shared tree, direct modofications of
> replication agreements will be rejected. This makes several subcommands
> of ipa-replica-manage unusable, like connect/disconnect/... .
> So should the functionality of ipa-replica-manage be changed to use the
> shared tree or should there be a new command like ipa-topology-manage.
>
> I would prefere a new command, so ipa-replica-manage is there if the
> topology plugin is disabled, also there shoul be some new subcommands
> like topology-verify, topology-view ...
>
> Let me know what you think,
>
> Thanks,
> Ludwig
>
> [1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Manage_replication_topology

It occurs to me this could make for a bumpy transition. It would mean
that an older master can't manage the topology of a new master since
ipa-replica-manage on that old master is going to try to make direct
changes.

So I suppose we need at least good error messages and documentation.

Given that when it comes to upgrading we recommending doing it fairly
quickly. We can add to that that recommendation any topology management
should be done from the newest master.