On Fri, 2014-08-01 at 14:42 -0500, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
> On 8/1/2014 12:21 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> >> OK, understood. This means in the service use case the service vault
> >> password will have to be provisioned to service instances using separate
> >> vaults that use asymmetric encryption key. This type of vaults will
> >> become a "drop box" and will not support escrow.
> >
> > I do not understand why escrow would not be supported, can you
> > elaborate ?
>
> See http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Password_Vault#Escrow_Workflows.
>
> With a normal vault (symmetric key) the secrets will be encrypted with a
> symmetric secret key, then the secret key itself will be encrypted with
> the escrow officer's public key and stored on the server. On recovery
> the escrow officer will decrypt the encrypted secret key with the
> private key, and use it to decrypt the secrets.
>
> I suppose with a drop box (asymmetric key) the secrets themselves will
> be encrypted with the public key of the owner (i.e. the service
> instance), not the escrow officer. The secrets can only be
> retrieved/recovered using the owner's private key. There's no secret key
> to escrow, unless we want to escrow the owner's private key?

The service can create a symmetric key and encrypt it with its public
key and the escrow public key.

> >> OK. Any preference how the service vaults should be structured?
> >> * /services/<service name>@<server name> -> repetitive server name?
> >> * /services/<server name>/<service name> -> more organized
> >
> > The latter seem to make more sense to me.
> >
> >> Is this going to be the service drop box (to provision the service vault
> >> password) or the service vault (that the instance is going to access
> >> using the service vault password)? Or will the instances access a shared
> >> service vault?
> >
> > Good questions, I am not sure.
>
> Unless there's an objection I'll use it as a drop box. I think each
> service instance should have a mechanism to configure the vaults it's
> going to use anyway, so we don't have to decide this now.

I am not sure having no escrow is good, often services are given secrets
need to connect to third parties so escrow may be important in case the
service private key is lost accidentally.

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York