On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:14:31 -0400
Nathaniel McCallum <npmccal...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-09-22 at 10:55 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:02:01 -0400
> > Nathaniel McCallum <npmccal...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > This is the avenue I first pursued. The problem is that the
> > > client has no way to look up the DN after the entry is added. In
> > > the case of sudocmd-add, the lookup is performed using the
> > > sudocmd attribute (see sudocmd.get_dn()). We have no similar
> > > attribute in this case and the lookup cannot be performed.
> >
> > Well in theory we could search with creatorName and createTimestamp
> > set to the user's own DN and a range a few seconds in the past ...
> > It is not robust if you add multiple tokens at the same time, but
> > would this be a concern for user created tokens ?
>
> That would fundamentally break the import script in which many tokens
> are being created by the same user rapidly.

But why would you need this in the script ?

> In a phone call with mkosek, we tossed around the idea of framework
> support for a (preexisting?) control which notifies the client of
> changes to the operation. This would notify the client that the
> ipatokenUniqueID changed from "autogenerate" to
> "86725e75-a307-4c10-9de5-3ce15b963552". This would resolve all
> ambiguity.

Notifications can be obtained via syncrepl, but that's not a control,
it is a full search and wait mechanism, A little too heavy weight for
this use IMO.

We could add a control that will return you a DN in the operation
result though. IT would be relatively simnple to add one, and would be
a generic feature useful in all these cases (including sudo as it
would allow us to avoid the search, or at least make it a base search
which is faster).

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York