On Mon, 01 Dec 2014, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 16:17:54 +0100
Petr Spacek <pspa...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 14.11.2014 17:31, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 14.11.2014 02:22, Simo Sorce wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:29:51 +0100
>> Petr Spacek <pspa...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> this thread is about RFE
>>> "IPA servers when installed should register themselves in the
>>> external DNS" https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4424
>>>
>>> It is not a complete design, just a raw idea.
>>>

>>> Use case
>>> ========
>>> FreeIPA installation to a network with existing DNS
>>> infrastructure + network administrator who is not willing to
>>> add/maintain new DNS servers "just for FreeIPA".
>>>

>>> High-level idea
>>> ===============
>>> - Transform dns* commands from FreeIPA framework to equivalent
>>> "nsupdate" commands and send DNS updates to existing DNS servers.
>>> - Provide necessary encryption/signing keys to nsupdate.
>>>

>>> 1) Integration to FreeIPA framework
>>> ===================================
>>> First of all, we need to decide if "external DNS integration" can
>>> be used at the same time with FreeIPA-integrated DNS or not.
>>> Side-question is what to do if a first server is installed with
>>> external-DNS but another replica is being installed with
>>> integrated-DNS and so on.
>>
>> I think being able to integrate with an external DNS is important,
>> and not just at the server level, being able to distribute TSIG
>> keys to client would be nice too, though a lot less important,
>> than getting server integration..
>
> Using TSIG on many clients is very problematic. Keep in mind that
> TSIG is basically HMAC computed using symmetric key so:
> a) Every client would have to use the same key - this is a security
> nightmare. b) We would have to distribute and maintain many keys
> for many^2 clients, which is an administrative nightmare.
>
> For *clients* I would rather stay with GSS-TSIG which is much more
> manageable because we can use Kerberos trust and Keytab
> distribution is already solved by ipa-client-install.
>
> Alternative for clients would be to use FreeIPA server as proxy
> which encapsulates TSIG keys and issues update requests on behalf
> of clients. This would be FreeIPA-specific but any
> TSIG-distribution mechanism will be FreeIPA-specific anyway.
>
> TSIG standard explicitly says that there is no standardized
> distribution mechanism.
>
>>> In other words, the question is if current "dns.py" plugin shipped
>>> with FreeIPA framework should be:
>>>
>>> a) Extended dns.py with dnsexternal-* commands
>>> Disadvantages:
>>> - It complicate FreeIPA DNS interface which is a complex beast
>>> even now.
>>> - We would have add condition to every DNS API call in installers
>>> which would increase horribleness of the installer code even more
>>> (or add another layer of abstraction...).
>>
>> I agree having a special command is undesirable.
>>>
>>> - I don't see a point in using integrated-DNS with external-DNS at
>>> the same time. To use integrated-DNS you have to get a proper DNS
> [...]
Trust is not possible to establish without proper DNS records in place.
At least, verification step will fail because for it to be successful,
AD DC must contact IPA domain controllers which it searches via SRV
records -- we can't influence that.

Additionally, there are no AD admin credentials available when we create
DNS records in ipa-adtrust-install because it is an operation done by
IPA admin. At this stage we don't really need these DNS records for IPA
side yet.

When IPA - AD trust is established with 'ipa trust-add' in one use case
we have both IPA admin and AD forest root domain's admin credentials,
thus we theoretically can create DNS records in AD as part of the
process, essentially making it two-step:
1. Discover IPA DCs via SRV records and if that fails, propose AD admin
to create the records -- either via confirmation or by providing a
separate command (e.g. 'ipa trust-init-dnsconfig').
2. Establish trust to AD and verify it.

It will not be working for the case we are creating a trust with a
shared secret because we'd have no AD admin credentials at all.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy