On 12/30/2014 01:57 AM, Prashant Bapat wrote:
Hi Again,

For enforcing SSH key rotation every N days, I'm thinking the following.
Please let me know if this makes sense.

1. Limit the number of keys per user to 2. Control this via the webUI
during they public key upload.
2. Append the current timestamp to the key during the upload. This gets
stores in LDAP under "ipaSshPubKey" attribute.
3. Store all the key fingerprints permanently. Need to define a new
attribute for this. Idea is that a ssh key never gets reused. During the
upload verify that the key being uploaded is not already present in the
historical store.
4. On the clients, use a ForcedCommand in SSH server and verify the
timestamp from #2 above is older than N days. Deny user with a error
message if true, allow if false. On similar lines of http://www.sshark.org/

Please let me know your thoughts around this. This is the limiting feature
for us to implement FreeIPA in our org right now.

With this design user can simple circumvent the restrictions by performing simple LDAP mod, i.e., avoid Web UI or CLI and therefore any check done by IPA framework. IPA framework is fine for data consistency but not for authentication restrictions.

Example: user could have a script which would directly update the timestamp or upload additional SSH Key.

Enforcing these restrictions could be solved by a 389 plugin but that requires more work (from my POV).

Thanks in advance.

--Prashant