On 01/05/2015 09:41 AM, Sumit Bose wrote:
On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 08:50:29AM +0530, Prashant Bapat wrote:
Hi,

What I'm trying to do is to modify the Range FreeIPA uses. I removed the
random Range Id created during install, added a new range that I wanted.
But problem is when I try to add a new user or a group now its still using
the old range that was created during installation.

I tried restarting the ipa service but still no help.

Any pointers to this will be appreciated.

sorry, ID ranges changes at runtime are currently not supported because
of the implications on the running system, e.g. users might not be able
to access their home directory anymore.

To use the new range the easiest way is to remove the SSSD cache on all
systems, i.e. systemctl stop sssd.server; rm /var/lib/sssd/db/cache_* ;
systemctl start sssd.service. Please note that with this scheme you will
loose the cached password, i.e. offline authentication might fail if the
given users hasn't logged in successfully after the cache was removed.

HTH

I think a confusion comes from a fact that IPA has "ID range" objects which look like that they could be used for configuration of DNA plugin[1]. IIUC that's not the case - ID range object are for managining rids for trusts [2].

The only way how to change UID allocation is to manually modify DNA plugin configuration - 'cn=Posix IDs,cn=Distributed Numeric Assignment Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config' entry + related object defined in dnaSharedCfgDN.

CLI's `ipa help idrange` contains this information. Maybe we should also consider adding this info to idrange-mod --help command and also to Web UI to prevent future confusions. Another approach is to raise "This change does not affect UID allocation. It has to be done in DNA plugin configuration." warning when modifying base id or a size of a local IPA range. Such warning would be visible in both CLI and Web UI.

[1] http://directory.fedoraproject.org/docs/389ds/design/dna-plugin.html
[2] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/ID_Ranges
--
Petr Vobornik