On Thu, 22 Jan 2015, Colin Walters wrote:
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015, at 12:23 AM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

In general, I'm not against trimming this dependency. However, please
follow existing pattern by defining paths.BIN_CURL and using it instead
of paths.BIN_WGET. FreeIPA client runs on Debian GNU/Linux-based
platforms as well and we need to keep the abstraction.

I understand this would be a separate patch...but I don't understand paths.py
at all.

First, why not just search $PATH?  util.py already sets up a
sanitized $PATH (although setting environment variables
like this is not threadsafe, but that's another bug).

Second, it's also in /usr/bin on Debian:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/curl/filelist
We have abstraction layer to take care of different platforms on a wider
scale than just this particular binary. We are gradually moving all code
to use platform abstraction to allow other platforms to be supported
(like FreeBSD or Illumos) and we in general cannot guarantee things will
be there at the same locations.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy