On 02/28/2015 01:07 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Nathan Kinder wrote:

>>> What I meant was that we would have an optional keyword "timeout"
>>> parameter to ipautil.run() that defaults to None, just like my
>>> subprocess32 approach.  If a timeout is not passed in, we would use
>>> subprocess.Popen() to run the specified command just like we do today.
>>> We would only actually pass the timeout parameter to ipautil.run() in
>>> synconce_ntp() for now, so no other commands would have a timeout in
>>> effect.  The capability would be available for other commands this way
>>> though.
>>>
>>> Let me propose a patch with this implementation, and if you don't like
>>> it, we can leave ipautil.run() alone and restrict the changes to
>>> synconce_ntp().
>>
>> An updated patch 0002 is attached that uses the approach mentioned above.
>
> Looks good. Not to nitpick to death but...
>
> Can you add timeout to ipaplatform/base/paths.py as BIN_TIMEOUT =
> "/usr/bin/timeout" and reference that instead? It's for portability.

Sure.  I was wondering if we should do something around a full path.

> And a question. I'm impatient. Should there be a notice that it will
> timeout after n seconds somewhere so people like me don't ^C after 2
> seconds? Or is that just overkill and I need to learn patience?

Probably both. :)  There's always going to be someone out there who will
do ctrl-C, so I think printing out a notice is a good idea.  I'll add this.

> Stylistically, should we prefer p.returncode is 15 or p.returncode == 15?

After some reading, it seems that '==' should be used.  Small integers
work with 'is', but '==' is the consistent way that equality of integers
should be checked.  I'll modify this.

Thanks,
-NGK