Hi,

Dne 24.2.2015 v 19:10 Martin Basti napsal(a):
Hello all,

please read the design page, any objections/suggestions appreciated
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Server_Upgrade_Refactoring

1)

"
* Merge server update commands into the one command (ipa-server-upgrade)
"

So there is "ipa-server-install" to install the server, "ipa-server-install --uninstall" to uninstall the server and "ipa-server-upgrade" to upgrade the server. Maybe we should bring some consistency here and have one of:

a) "ipa-server-install [--install]", "ipa-server-install --uninstall", "ipa-server-install --upgrade"

b) "ipa-server-install [install]", "ipa-server-install uninstall", "ipa-server-install upgrade"

 c) "ipa-server-install", "ipa-server-uninstall", "ipa-server-upgrade"

2)

"
* Prevent to run IPA service, if code version and configuration version does not match
  * ipactl should execute ipa-server-upgrade if needed
"

There should be no configuration version, configuration update should be run always. It's fast and hence does not need to be optimized like data update by using a monolithic version number, which brings more than a few problems on its own.

3)

"
* Prevent user to use ipa-upgradeconfig and ipa-ldap-updater
"

Even without arguments? Is ipactl now the only right place to trigger manual update?

4)

"
Plugins are called from update files, using new directive update-plugin:<plugin-name>
"

Why "update-plugin" and not just "plugin"? Do you expect other kinds of plugins to be called from update files in the future? (I certainly don't.)

5)

"
New class UpdatePlugin is used for all update plugins.
"

Just reuse the existing Updater class, no need to reinvent the wheel.

6)

I wonder why configuration update is done after data update and not before. I know it's been like that for a long time, but it seems kind of unnatural to me, especially now when schema update is separate from data update. (Rob?)

7)

"
keep --test option and fix the plugins which do not respect the option
"

Just a note, I believe this ticket is related: <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3448>.

Good work overall!

Honza