Dne 3.3.2015 v 11:04 Petr Spacek napsal(a):
On 3.3.2015 10:58, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 03/03/2015 09:36 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 3.3.2015 09:33, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 3.3.2015 v 09:06 Martin Basti napsal(a):
On 03/03/15 07:31, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 2.3.2015 v 13:51 Martin Basti napsal(a):
On 02/03/15 13:12, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Dne 2.3.2015 v 12:23 Martin Kosek napsal(a):
On 03/02/2015 07:49 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Hi,

Dne 24.2.2015 v 19:10 Martin Basti napsal(a):
Hello all,

please read the design page, any objections/suggestions appreciated
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Server_Upgrade_Refactoring

1)

"
* Merge server update commands into the one command
(ipa-server-upgrade)
"

So there is "ipa-server-install" to install the server,
"ipa-server-install
--uninstall" to uninstall the server and "ipa-server-upgrade" to
upgrade the
server. Maybe we should bring some consistency here and have one of:

   a) "ipa-server-install [--install]", "ipa-server-install
--uninstall",
"ipa-server-install --upgrade"

   b) "ipa-server-install [install]", "ipa-server-install uninstall",
"ipa-server-install upgrade"

   c) "ipa-server-install", "ipa-server-uninstall",
"ipa-server-upgrade"

Long term, I think we want C. Besides other advantages, it will let
us have
independent sets of options, based on what you want to do.

2)

"
* Prevent to run IPA service, if code version and configuration
version does
not match
    * ipactl should execute ipa-server-upgrade if needed
"

There should be no configuration version, configuration update
should be run
always. It's fast and hence does not need to be optimized like data
update by
using a monolithic version number, which brings more than a few
problems on its
own.

I do not agree in this section. Why would you like to run it always,
even if it
was fast? No run is still faster than fast run.

In the ideal case the installer would be idempotent and upgrade would
be re-running the installer and we should aim to do just that. We kind
of do that already, but there is a lot of code duplication in
installers and ipa-upgradeconfig (I would like to fix that when
refactoring installers). IMO it's better to always make 100% sure the
configuration is correct rather than to save a second or two.
I doesn't like this idea, if user wants to fix something, the one should
use --skip-version-check option, and the IPA upgrade will be executed.

Well, what I don't like is dealing with meaningless version numbers.
They are causing us grief in API versioning and I don't see why it
would be any different here.
However you must keep the version because of schema and data upgrade, so
why not to execute update as one batch instead of doing config upgrade
all the time, and then data upgrade only if required.

Because there is no exact mapping between version number and what features are
actually available. A state file is tons better than a single version number.

Some configuration upgrades, like adding new DNS related services,
requires new schema, how we can handle this?

This does not sound right. Could you be more specific?

Running schema upgrade every time?

What if a service changes in a way, the IPA configuration will not work?

Then it's a bug and needs to be fixed, like any other bug. IIRC there
was only one or two occurences of such bug in the past 3 years (I
remember sshd_config), so I don't think you have a strong case here.
Ok

The user will need to change it manually, but after each restart,
upgrade will change the value back into IPA required configuration which
will not work.

Says who? It's our code, we can do whatever we want, it doesn't have
to be dumb like this.

Yes, we have upgrade state file, but then the comparing of one value is
faster then checking each state if was executed.

How faster is that, like, few milliseconds? Are you seriously
considering this the right optimization in a process that is
magnitudes slower?
Ok the speed is not so important, but I still do not like the idea of
executing the code which is not needed to be executed, because I know
the version is the same as was before last restart, so nothing changed.

Weren't "clever" optimizations like this what got us into this whole
refactoring bussiness in the first place?

I very much agree with Honza. We should always start with something
stupidly-simply and enhance it later, when it is clear if it is really
necessary.

Do not over-engineer it from the very beginning.

I completely agree with starting stupid and simply and improving in time.
However, are we sure that what Honza proposed is the simple and stupid way?

Doing config upgrade only when needed and thus not depending on the efficiency
and idempotency of the config upgraders seems to me as *the* stupid and simple
way for upgrade refactoring.

Maybe I'm missing something but

if not state.get('dns_forward_zones_supported'):
        # upgrade to forward zones here

seems less error-prone than

if version < 4.0:
        # upgrade to forward zones here
        # make me a sandwich
        # consult local oracle to guess that other features where backported
        #       to currently running code

Exactly!